Fun Facts About Shrimp
Here are a few interesting facts about shrimp that you probably don't know. They are very intriguing (and delicious) creatures.
- Shrimp are found widely around the world in both fresh and salt water. There are over 2,000 different species of this water-dwelling creature.
- Americans are big shrimp fans. We eat about 1 billion pounds of them every year!
- Selenium is found in shrimp. That's an antioxidant mineral that has been found to fight the growth of cancer-causing free radicals.
- Shrimp are omnivorous, meaning they are known to eat both plant and animal matter. Some even catch and eat small fish.
- If someone asks you if you want "green" shrimp, that just means it is uncooked. (If it's actually the color green, don't eat that one!)
- Most of the shrimp you find on your plate can easily be eaten in 1 or 2 bites. The longest shrimp ever found was around 16 inches long! That might take a few more.
- A shrimp's lifespan varies anywhere from about 1 year to just over 6 years. During that time, they go through 16 different stages of life!
- Every single shrimp is born as a male, but ends their life as a female!
Shrimp Dishes at JB Hook's
Now that you know a few new fun facts about this particular crustacean, we'd like to tell you about the many scrumptious ways that we have for you to enjoy it for lunch, dinner, or Happy Hour at JB Hook's. The following dishes can be found throughout all of our different menus, including that fantastic Shrimp & Oyster Bar.
Peel 'N Eat Shrimp
Served chilled over shaved ice with cocktail sauce & horseradish in a half-pound or full-pound order.
Served chilled in a martini glass with cocktail sauce and horseradish.
New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
Sauteed with beer, garlic, and Cajun Spices.
Sauteed in butter, garlic, and white wine, then finished with a hint of lemon.
Seven large shrimp breaded, fried, and served with cocktail sauce.
Seafood Salad Sliders
Tender bits of crab and shrimp tossed in a creamy dressing, served on Ciabatta with lettuce and tomato.
Bam Bam Shrimp
Lightly battered shrimp served with a sweet and spicy chipotle sauce.
Bam Bam Shrimp Wrap
Lightly battered shrimp, flash fried, rolled into a wrap with lettuce, tomato, and a sweet and spicy chipotle sauce.
Hook's Coconut Shrimp
Large shrimp encrusted with coconut and deep-fried golden brown, then served with Jezebel sauce. There are four in the appetizer and seven in the lunch or dinner portion.
The following dishes have added deliciousness with the addition of shrimp.
Steak and Shrimp
A 6-oz filet mignon and your choice of shrimp.
A 6-oz filet mignon topped with tender bits of lump crab and shrimp, finished with asparagus spears and béarnaise sauce.
Capellini Tutto Mare
Shrimp, clams, crab, scallops, mussels, and mushrooms in a creamy garlic sauce.
Hook's Stuffed Lobster Tail
Our signature one-pound Australian Lobster tail stuffed with Alaskan King Crab, fresh herbs, and panko breadcrumbs, oven broiled and served with pan seared day boat sea scallops and gulf shrimp in a classic scampi sauce.
Shrimp is also a delicious addition that can be added to salads, steaks, and more at our Lake of the Ozarks find dining restaurant. Come in soon and try one of the many mouthwatering shrimp options we have for you at JB Hook's. We bet you love them all!
The Lake's Best Ocean Fish and Steaks