JB Hook's dug up a few fun facts about oysters that you may not know. Take a look at this list. The health benefits alone should make you want to give this savory seafood a try.
1. Oysters have been around for over 180 million years.
2. Some people refer to them as "arsters" because it has long been said that oysters are meatier and taste better in months that contain the letter "R."
3. The same type of oyster can have different flavors, all depending on where it was raised.
4. Oysters aren't just male or female, but both! They begin life as a male, then switch to being egg-producing females, and can then choose to change back into a male.
5. This shellfish is one of the most nutrient-packed foods, and also one of the lowest calorie foods per serving size. This means you can get a lot of your daily nutrients with very little calorie intake.
6. Oysters are rich in Vitamins A, C, D, and B-12, and also protein, iron, and zinc.
7. The B-12 in oysters has been known to sharpen memory skills.
8. The extremely high levels of zinc found in this seafood are great for boosting a person's energy, increasing blood flow, and improving the immune system.
9. The high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered "good" cholesterol, are great for heart health.
The best seafood restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks has a couple of different ways for you to enjoy the healthy and delicious oyster. Our Shrimp and Oyster Bar offers east coast succulent Oysters on the Half Shell served with cocktail sauce and horseradish. A very popular appetizer is our Oysters Rockefeller. This dish contains four large oysters stuffed with spinach, bacon, and onions, then finished with Hollandaise.
JB Hook's takes pride in offering the freshest, most delicious seafood in the lake area. If oysters aren't your first choice, we also have a large variety of other healthy seafood dishes cooked to perfection for you to choose from.
The Lake's Best Ocean Fish and Steaks
Visit us at JBHooks.com